5 minute read
Renovating your home can be stressful for your bank account. Nevertheless, home remodeling can only happen when it’s really needed. In the recent times, the process of renovating a home can be caused by two apparent reasons. Firstly, when the owner seems to be bored with the way how their home looks like. And secondly, if the quality of your home is already deteriorating. The latter reason may seemingly appear to be challenging since not all signs of deterioration can be seen directly. You may say that you use innovative solutions in your home such as the top rated steam cleaning machine or the most prominent window robots to maintain the overall quality. Note that even if you use such innovative gadgets and solutions, the deterioration of homes is inevitable. Although as stated it is very much inevitable, you could actually make ways and steps to slow down or avoid the total destruction of your home. Hence, this is where renovation comes in.
1. When your floor needs to be replaced The very first sign that your home needs a renovation is when the tiling system in your floors are starting to detach. The detachment of the tiles only means that the tile grouting is already wearing off. The more common rooms that will need new floors are bathrooms and kitchens. The wearing off can be a result of many things but one thing is for sure, this means your home already needs a new tiling system. Or, you can change up the design and add some wood floors, wood not only looks great but it’s good for resale. Wood floors can have a great return on your investment. Carpet in high traffic areas should be replaced every 10 years. The look of carpet that needs to be replaced can make your home look like it’s in desperate need of a remodel. By replacing the carpet, or adding hardwood flooring which will update the look and feel of your home significantly.
2. The roof is leaking Leakages in your roofing system mean two things. One, the roofing installer and service that you hired is no good and two – the roofing system of your home is already old and rotten. Either way, your roof needs fixing and renovating in entirety. According to Angie’s list a new basic roof with asphalt shingles will cost between $4500 – $10,000. The price depends on the type of shingle and the square footage of the roof. Roofing companies work in squares, which is a 10×10 foot area, 100 square feet. The more square feet your roof is, the more it will cost to replace. If your home has vinyl siding and the paint is chipping then it’s time to repaint the exterior of your home. While this is a difficult project out in the elements you can do it yourself. Even if you hire a general contractor to help you. the cost is fairly reasonable.
3. Your home feels too crowded or too empty Have you ever encountered coming home to your house and you feel weird and something is off? Often times when people encounter this, they actually feel that their house is either crowded or too spacious. Note that when this happens to you, it only means that your house needs refreshing. You may actually renovate your home by simply re-organizing all the things and belongings inside your home.
4. The paint looks dingy and starts to chip Another factor that could explicitly mean that your home is in need of remodeling is when the interior or exterior paint starts to become worn down, dirty, and is chipping. It only shows that external factors are already affecting your home negatively. These factors could be dirt and chemicals. Aside from the fact that this circumstance means that your home is deteriorating already, it could also mean that you need to regard as well renovating and cleaning things inside your home. Apply a fresh layer of paint to your walls on the inside and exterior of your home. Repaint the baseboards and crown molding if needed. Touch up your kitchen cabinets and other areas in the kitchen and bathrooms. Having freshly painted walls and baseboards can take years off the look of your home. If the white is starting to yellow, a nice coat of white paint will do wonders to updating the look of your home.
5. When termites start infesting your home Ultimately, the presence of pests and unwanted insects does not only mean that you have low-quality types of materials inside your home. More often than not, when pests such as termites and other kinds of pests are infesting already, it means that your home needs renovating already. One good reason behind is that materials being used inside your home are already deteriorating and aging which largely attracts many insects and pests. Moreover, take note that pests and insects are attracted to messy, dirty, and unpleasant spots. If your home is suffering already from such pests, it denotes that your home or your place is in a very untidy status which is a good reason as well for you to renovate and improve your home.
6. The house feels out-dated If you see lots of shiny gold door handles or shiny gold finish on anything really, then it’s about time to start a new remodel project to modernize your home. Older bathrooms will have gold everything, facets, door handles, bathtub and shower fixtures. This was a popular design in the 1990’s but feels very out-dated in 2017. This is a project you can do yourself without the help of a contractor if you’re a little handy. You can buy oil rubbed bronze or brushed nickel faucets, door knobs and other bathroom and kitchen accessories fairly cheap. They are easy to install and can usually be completed in 10 minutes or less. New modern fans and light fixtures can be found on Amazon for under $100. You should probably use the services of an electrician to install these for you, depending on how many you need the cost could be less than $400. These improvements will have a big impact and make your home feel much newer than before.
7. Your kitchen and bathrooms look old These are the most important rooms in the home, not only for homeowners, but for homebuyers as well. If you have a very outdated looking kitchen or bathrooms your home will feel old. You should modernize these rooms and bring them up to date. Speak to a home remodel contractor about your kitchen remodel and renovation project. This is usually not a cheap project but it will significantly update your home making it feel new. Bathroom remodeling will include new sinks, flooring, shower walls, faucets, toilets, etc. Like a kitchen remodel the costs to the homeowner are high, but there’s a huge payoff. Not only will your house will have a great interior design and be up-to-date it will be worth more if you ever decide to sell.
The bottom line… In entirety, these signs can be very minimal and too “normal” to be seen and noticed. However. Once your home showed these kinds of signs, it only means that your home is starting to deteriorate and needs home remodeling already. If you feel like it’s time for a home remodeling project you should be prepared to spend a little money. While you can do a lot of upgrades on your own, many projects will need the help of a professional remodel company to ensure the job is done right. There are contractors that can help you with all the projects you have saving you time and money. If you’re low on cash for the redesign, you can look into getting a home equity loan or cash out refinance to get some cash using the built up equity in your home.